Innovative arc flash clothing offers multi-hazard protection
The latest innovation from DuPont, Nomex® for arc flash clothing offers utility and industrial workers multi-hazard protection, proven comfort and market-leading durability.
Extending the trusted Nomex® brand for Heat & flame protection, Nomex® fabric also protects against arc flash and small molten metal splashes. It is an excellent choice for workers in utility, chemical, refinery, and other hazardous industrial jobs.
Rated for international standards
Nomex® for arc flash clothing is specifically designed to meet or exceed the standards required in multi-hazard thermal environments.
• It meets the Arc Flash Protection standard NFPA 70E, and has an excellent arc rating/weight ratio, 8.4 cal/cm2, and ATPV rating (category 2 as per NFPA 70E) in a 7 oz. fabric.
• It meets or exceeds international standards for Heat & flame protection, including NFPA 21112 and ENISO11612, and meets the ENISO11611 standard for small molten metal protection.
• It increases your chances of survival in a thermal hazard, according to mannequin testing which shows very low percent body burn at three-, four-, and five-second exposures (NFPA 2112, ISO 13506).
• Its physical properties have been tested to 100X IL, with additional physical and garment testing to 200 IL in the near future.
Get an exclusive look at the Arc-Man® test facility located in CEF Switzerland.
Unlike other materials, Nomex® fabric has flame-resistant properties built into the fibers and will never be affected by washing, abrasion, or exposure to heat. So you get a tougher, more durable fabric with a longer lifespan and, ultimately, a better value.
Made of 34% aramid, 33% lyocell, 31% modacrylic, and 2% anti-static materials, Nomex® is engineered to absorb moisture and dry quickly, so workers can stay comfortable on the job
Nomex® for arc flash clothing beats the competition as proven in independent studies conducted by the French Institute for Textiles and Clothing:
• It dries faster than flame-retardant (FR) treated cotton.
• It has a low actual weight that is lighter than the competition.
• It has a superior fabric hand.
• It has less shrinkage than FR-treated cotton and modacrylic blends.
Thanks to these features, Nomex® provides better fit and retention of fit, which is key for comfort and professional appearance.
Available in medium blue, khaki and navy, Nomex® fabric offers better color protection after UV exposure compared to other blends and FR-treated cotton.
More durable, more cost-effective
Nomex® for arc flash clothing is more durable than FR-treated cotton and other available blends, making it more cost-effective.
This durability is achieved through improved breaking strengths and high abrasion levels. Predictions of long-term durability come from combining these levels after laundering. The inherent qualities of Nomex® ensure wash and color fastness and low shrinkage from washing. In fact, Nomex® abrasion actually improves with laundering, and its break strength is 60% higher than FR-treated cotton.
A heritage of trusted thermal protection
Hazards are unpredictable. Nomex® is not. For more than forty years, people working the toughest jobs around the world have trusted Nomex® to offer the best thermal protection on the market.
Now Nomex® for arc flash clothing expands that reliable protection to new hazards, including electrical arc flash and molten metal splash, giving industrial workers the multi-hazard protection they need.
Arc flash protection standards
Our standards are designed to provide a practical, safe working environment for employees working with electricity.
Nomex® provides cleanroom PPE that protects against a range of thermal hazards.
The NFPA 70E Standard provides detailed guidance on administrative measures for controlling electrical shock and arc flash hazards in the workplace.
Nomex® is constantly innovating to meet or exceed new protection standards.